Monday, June 20, 2016

You've Got Mail #37: Baseball Every Night

One of the newest bloggers on the scene is Peter from Baseball Every Night. He's been posting pictures and discussing his collection at a good clip and recently offered up a couple of hockey cards for those who were interested. Being the hockey collector that I am, I took him up on his offer and the two cards I requested were in the mail shortly thereafter.

1988-89 Topps #1 Mario Lemieux
I'm not a big Mario Lemieux collector but when I see old 1980s Topps hockey cards of his, I can't resist. The older the card for Topps for me in hockey, the better. Doesn't matter if it's classified as junk wax such as this or not, I appreciate it all. I really like the clean simple design of this card. The nameplate at the top isn't too distracting and you get a full logo next to it (side note: old-school hockey logos are the best!). This is the first 1988-89 Topps hockey card in my collection and if it find any hockey dime boxes (yeah right) or whatnot in the future, I might have to go digging for some more of the star players from this set.

1974-75 Topps #100 Bobby Orr
As I've mentioned before, vintage hockey is hard to come by in my neck of the woods so anytime I come across stuff like this, I jump on it. I have a handful of vintage hockey cards right now, mainly acquired through trade and from COMC but this is just awesome and is definitely the centerpiece of my hockey collection now. This is the first I've seen of 74-75 Topps and it's a nice clean design with the player photo as the centerpiece. By this time, Orr was towards the tail end of his career playing one additional season with Boston and then part of a season with the Blackhawks. I'm not sure what I want to do with this card yet, do I put it in a top loader and stick it in the box with all my other "good cards" or do I stick it in the middle of a page with the rest of the general population in my hockey binder. My instincts are telling me top loader and storage box, but what do you think?

A big thanks to Peter for these awesome hockey cards.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so so glad that the cards are enjoyed as much as they are and was thrilled to be able to send them to you!

    -Peter

    ReplyDelete