Saturday, March 30, 2019

I'm Gonna Need a Bigger Boat


You know that scene from "Jaws" where the chief (played by Roy Scheider) sees the shark for the first time and slowly backs into the cabin to tell Quint (played by Robert Shaw) "you're gonna need a bigger boat."? Yeah, that's the way I felt when my mom sprouted a mega-haul of old cards on me today.


My mom told me a co-worker of hers had been doing some spring cleaning and found boxes and bins of old cards her sons had collected. I was expecting a few small boxes but nothing like this. Essentially it boiled down to either my mom took these or they were going in the trash. 

She brought cards over and I looked through the boxes briefly to gauge what I had unexpectedly and unknowingly got myself into. It looks to be a good solid mix of all four sports and lots of stuff from mid-80s through the early 2000s.

As you can see from the picture, there's four different boxes ... one big brown box which I found out is stuffed from top to bottom and side to side with nothing but loose cards, a bin containing several 300-500 count storage boxes along with a few small binders and a very tattered shoebox at the bottom. Finally, there are the two black shoeboxes in the front.

Over the next few weeks (and possibly months) I'll be sorting and organizing my way through these and showing my finds. I'll be starting with the two black shoeboxes, which by the way are stuffed from stem to stern with cards. 

I don't know what you think, but I think I'm definitely going to need a bigger boat.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what you got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome. I'm still waiting for something like that to happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Maybe you’ll find some late 1990s goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the gems you find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A surprise ton of cards for free?! You must be living right. Hopefully you'll find more than few gems among those boxes. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure to be a few pleasant surprises in all those boxes. Looking forward to the results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that will be fun! Wonder if her sons know mom threw out their cards? BTW, I mentioned it in a previous comment but wanted to thank you again for the surprise PWE. Thanks for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice haul. Reminds me of a few weeks ago when some friends of mine, who a few times in the past have given me the remains of their son's card collection. WE thought all the cards had been passed onto me months ago, however there was still a bankers box sized "home depot" moving box that was nearly 3/4 full. We think that is FINALLY the last of the collection but who knows? The haul is mostly baseball and football 1990s as was the time period of the collecting. Unfortunately there were many cards that were stuck together, some because of the natural sticking together of the glossy style cards they were, some due to water damage or some other form of something that stuck them together. I successfully separated only a few of them, some of the separations as expected didn't go to well. I have a few dozen cards from the batch sitting in my freezer to attempt the separation by freezing thing been a few days for that.

    ReplyDelete