Saturday, December 10, 2016

You've Got Mail #54: Sportscards From the Dollar Store and Dawg Day Cards

Ok, sure, that's not the most clever title to come up with when I get mail from Canada (or near it), but it's late when I'm writing and scheduling this post so forgive me. Anyway, let's see what arrived from the most recent round of mail from the cardsphere's two favorite Canadians.




Anytime I see something in my mailbox from Canada, I immediately know its from Douglas at Sportscards from the Dollar Store. As usual, it hit all the major collections, but mostly hockey and football. The top row of the scan is all Bengals and are definitely nice additions to the Bengals binder but the Donruss cards are just top notch. It's not often that Ickey Woods shows up in modern products  so seeing this included was really cool. Woods once did an autograph signing at the card shop I worked way back in 2002 but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it as I was working two jobs at the time and was stuck at my second job that day. Nowadays, you've probably know him from the Geico commercial:


Douglas also threw in some more Blue Jackets cards for my new team collection I've started of them. The Brandon Saad card is from last year's Upper Deck ICE release. I've always liked those cards but packs and boxes just don't fit my budget so I'll just opt for singles via discount bins and trades. Another neat card that was included was the card of Seth Jones from the most recent Upper Deck Champs set, which is basically their version of Allen & Ginter. The Rick Nash and Steve Mason cards were just icing on the top. Also, I had no idea Steve Mason played for Columbus.



A few weeks later I saw a small envelope had arrived from New York and that could only mean one thing, mail from everyone's favorite Browns blogger, Angus. Anytime I get a package from Angus I know to expect the unexpected and that's just what was included, the unexpected. First, four awesome old Stingers WHA cards from the 70s. I need double check to make sure that none of these are dupes although I think off hand the Robbie Ftorek card might be. If they are dupes, that's fine with me as eventually I'm going to start building the WHA sets.


Moving on, there was this seven card oddball Wayne Gretzky set that took me forever to find info on.  Turns out it's part of the 1999-00 Kraft/Post Collection. If you bought a boxed Kraft dinner (spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, etc.) at the store during this time, then you probably got one of these cards as a bonus. If I'm wrong on that, someone please correct me. This is the second Kraft Gretzky set that Angus has sent me as last year he sent an oversized four card set. I love oddball sets be it baseball or hockey so this will have a prominent place in the hockey binder.


Finally, there were these mini cards still in the wrapper. A little bit of research found these to be 1992-93 Humpty Dumpty cards. These were issued in two 26-card sets from the Humpty Dumpty snack food company, which is Canadian based company that makes potato chips and other varieties of bagged snacks. From left to right is Joe Sakic, Owen Nolan, Valeri Kaminsky, and Patrick Roy. These are completely wonderful with the full bleed photos and the small logos on the bottom right. I love getting cards of the Nordiques so I was really happy when these fell out of the package. I was even happier when I realized one of them was Joe Sakic not in an Avalanche uniform. I'm planning on leaving them in their little cellophane wrappers as that just adds to the charm.

A big thanks to Douglas and Angus for bolstering my collection with some really fun stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. I miss the days of being able to find trading cards in products as diverese as my potato chips and cheese. Ah, the 90's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the cards! I figured oddball hockey stuff would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete