Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Monster of a Box


I'm not sure who Brandon is, nor am I sure how this grimy old bankers box became littered with holes and tears with a lid wrapped up in old packing tape. One thing is definitely for certain though, this box contains baseball cards .... and lots of them!

Over the course of a rainy Saturday night a few weeks ago, I decided to start the process of organizing this beast. Here's a quick picture I snapped about a quarter of the way through.


Just look at that. 

The majority of the box was baseball cards, probably about 95% of it. There was also some basketball, football, and a very small selection of hockey cards. When all was said and done, I'd estimate there to be about 3,800 cards in here as it filled up a 3,200 count monster box and nearly a row of another one.

I then went through everything again to decide what to keep and what to donate. I ended up filling up five grocery bags worth and dropped them off at the local Goodwill last week.

Here's the final product after two rounds of sorting and organizing ...


The right two rows are miscellaneous cards I kept from the box, roughly about 1,500 or so I'd say. The all black row is nothing but 1986 Topps. I think there's enough here to warrant starting a set but they still need to be sorted by number. The last row (left side) is another pile of cards from the remainder of the haul with the Ziploc bag in the back that will be going to a teacher friend of mine to be used as rewards for her students.

I'm now in the process of figuring out blog posts for all of this and taking the first round of pictures. More to come on this behemoth ...

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing more of the mystery box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that some of the cards will eventually make it into kids' hands. I'm always hoping that I'll have one student get stoked about free cards. This year was probably the worst year ever in terms of my students being enthusiastic about cards. The only cards that were popular were the Stranger Things cards I took to my class. Normally kids would fight over Golden State Warriors cards, but even those have been "meh" to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun. Great surprise for you and I can't wait to see the posts.

    ReplyDelete