Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Odditorium


I'll admit. I was starting to worry. 

It was days before Christmas and I hadn't heard anything about my Secret Santa package. However, thanks to the magic of the USPS, it arrived two days before Christmas. I opened it on Christmas Day and found out my Secret Santa was Andy (aka bbcardz) of Stadium Fantasium. The box he sent was small and modest but packed a big punch consisting mainly of lots and lots and lots of oddball cards.


I'll start first with the two non-oddball cards he included. On the left is a 2018 Heritage Adam Duvall. Duvall was really good with the Reds and put up some good power numbers but after the trade to Atlanta, he bottomed out. On the right, is a 1969 Topps Jerry McNertney which will be added to my Seattle Pilots collection and knocks one more card off that wantlist.


Now on to the meat of the package, oddballs!

Andy sent over three complete sets of oddballs, first up this 1993 Post Cereal 30 card set. These are some really fun cards and cool looking cards. For now, I've put this in a team bag until I get the chance to page it up in a binder.



Next we have this 18-card set of 1992 Score Procter & Gamble featuring the starters from the 1992 All-Star Game in San Diego.


The last complete set Andy included was the 1992 Post Cereal set. Again, I put this into a team bag to be paged up in a binder soon. The first thing I noticed was that awesome Jeff Bagwell "Rookie Star" card on tip. Maybe I'll go through the two Post Cereal sets in future blog posts. Not sure yet.


There was also a bunch of miscellaneous oddball cards thrown in. I'd ordered the Cap'n Crunch Tony Gwynn in my COMC Christmas order so now I have two of them! Oh well, I'm not going to complain. 


There were also a bunch of Post Cereal cards from the early 90s included. First these from 1990.


Then these from 1991. What is it with cards and yellow borders in 1991? (I'm looking at you Fleer.)


Finally, some cards from my favorite Post Cereal set, 1994. The design on these is great with the green marble-ish borders, the red stripe at the bottom with the name and team, and the players signature in gold. These are just some great looking cards.


Here's some Hostess cards from 1993. I always liked how Hostess was able to use the team logos and hot have to airbrush anything off the cards.


Here's two cards I never knew existed, cards from the California Jumbo Sunflower Seeds company. I tried sunflower seeds once when I played knothole baseball and hated them. I was more of a Big League Chew person. These cards claim that they are from the "autograph series" but I only see an autograph on the George Brett card. Also, the pictures are pretty bland and Brett looks more like a generic high school coach. However, they're oddballs so I still like them.


Lastly, there were these three 3-card packs of Jimmy Dean cards. I couldn't resist cracking these open so here's what was inside.


Pack #1 had Kevin Mitchell, Dale Murphy, and Nolan Ryan.


Pack #2 checked in with Dave Winfield, Rickey Henderson, and George Brett.


And the final pack featured Jose Canseco, Frank Thomas, and Dave Justice. That's a solid nine cards right there!

Big thanks to Andy for sending these cards over as my Secret Santa present and for the nice note that I showed at the top. I really appreciate it! Also, thanks to Jon at Penny Sleeves for stepping up and running this years festivities. It was great to participate in again.

8 comments:

  1. Man wouldn't it be nice to find baseball cards in cereal boxes and on other boxes again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great cards upon great cards. Good job Andy, sorry Santa. This is what Christmas should be - fun filled surprises to be opened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now everybody is going to be clamoring to get Andy as their Santa next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like the cards, Adam! If you guys like those cards, I've got a bunch more that you can win in Stadium Fantasium's first ever contest (http://stadiumfantasium.com/the-rose-bowl-contest/). Prizes include some vintage, some oddball, some more recent cards and even some Rose Bowl trinkets. Check it out, pimp the contest on your blog before 2:00 pm Pacific Dec. 31, comment with a link on my contest post and I'll send you a 2019 souvenir Rose Bowl cup FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a fan of oddball issues... this was a solid Secret Santa package. The 1992 P&G set would look awesome in 9-pocket pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul here, worth the wait. I remember buying a lot of Hostess products to pull those cards in 1993. That could easily be a Donruss design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice package. Man, I miss the oddball card days......

    ReplyDelete