Sunday, December 23, 2018

Birthday Repacks


My birthday was last week, the 19th to be exact. So as a present to myself, I decided to try out some Walgreens repacks seeing that I haven't torn into one of them in a while. I won't break down each repack but I will cover some of the neater cards found within. I wonder if the new design on the box means a refresh of content?


The cover cards and both are 2018 Stadium Club. This is good because ... 1) I don't have much 2018 Stadium Club aside from the dime singles I picked up at the card show back in the fall and 2) Seeing 2018 cards right off the top should be a good sign, hopefully.


More 2018 cards! The Bowman design isn't bad this year to be honest.



The repacks had a plethora of 2016 Topps (probably 24 total between the two packs), these are the best cards from the stack. The more I see these cards, the more I think it's not one of Topps better efforts.


80s and 90s cards were prevalent too. How can you go wrong with cards of "The Cobra" and "Murph". 


I can always dig some 1987 Donruss. 


My favorite card from the literal gobs of 1988 Score that I found. This is just such a cool card.


A new card for my Dennis Eckersley collection that I'm pretty sure I don't already have. So weird to see him in a Cubs uniform.


Wait, early 80s cards in repacks? Unexpected but nice.


Vintage in repacks? Ok sure, why not? I can see a 1978 or a 1979 card winding up in repacks but a card from 1973? Hey I won't complain.


My favorites of the 1986 Donruss I found. I can't put a finger on it but there's something I really like about these cards. One of the cool things about most Donruss cards from the 80s, is that they use the team logo, which I always though added a neat touch.


I have to show the Reds cards that I got. The Rich Gale will be used for my 1984 set and the Score "Hot Rookie" Hal Morris is new to me as well.



Some newer cards. I can't believe that 2017 Topps will already be two years old this coming January when the 2019 cards hit. It's a design I definitely still like. 


Now on to the coolest cards of the repacks .... I did some research online and for the life of me couldn't find any information on this Nick Anderson character. It's neat to get a hit out of these but they're never really anything great.


What is this doing in a repack? It's a 2018 Topps Chrome 1983 Tribute of Giancarlo Stanton. I spent roughly zero dollars on Topps Chrome this year (as I do every year) but this is a really, really cool card.


And I also got these two Topps Chrome base cards. I must say that the 2018 design chromes up pretty nicely

So there we are, two repacks. When I opened these, the collation was pretty much the same and there were a lot of duplicates included, strangely enough in the exact same spot in each pack. While I did get some cool cards, these were largely a miss thanks to the sheer volume of junk wax cards. I did also get a pack of 1990 Upper Deck in each box, so there's that as well. I'll cover those in a future post.

9 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! And like you, I can't figure out why that Giancarlo would be in a repack, but oh well, it's a win for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated!

    The Stanton was my card of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's Nick Anderson

    https://goislanders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3190

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved repacks but about a year ago they just disappeared form my area. There not at Target, not at Walgreens, there not anywhere.
    https://adventuresofabaseballcardcollector.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Junk wax is definitely the theme for these repacks. I know going in I won't get my money's worth. It is all about the fun. Some decent 80's/90's cards though but again I know those won't get you far. I'm a sucker for these things. I enjoy the variety. Good stuff and better luck next time. And that Stanton is a nice find for these repacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! Some awesome cards in those repacks. Love the 88S Martinez and the Bautista bat flip card. Hope you and your family have a safe holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. '73 Topps in a repack??? ... I haven't seen cards that old in repacks in like three years.

    Happy belated birthday. My sister-in-law shares your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday and nice repack. Holy cow, I would have been happy with that for sure.

    ReplyDelete