Friday, September 14, 2018

#Florence


So there's this happening right now.

I had plans on completing some blog posts this weekend but then last night we unexpected company show up.

The first wave arrived about 9:00, it was my sister-in-law, her husband, and their three week old baby. They had left on Wednesday from Beulaville, NC for Pound, Virginia but after they got there and stayed one night, they decided to pack up as they weren't too keen on the persons house in the hills and the environment for their baby where they were staying at.

About three hours later, my mother-in-law and two of my wife's brothers showed up somewhat unexpectedly. They were attempting to take shelter down in Jacksonville, NC with my wife's dad as he's a county employee as is thus classified as a first responder as has to stay, but the shelter was full. So they dropped him off, packed the car up, and arrived in Ohio. We weren't sure if they were coming as they have no cell phones between the three of them. It was either Ohio, find a shelter in Raleigh, or ride out the storm back at their house in Richlands, NC. Luckily they chose Ohio.

So we're housing refugees from the storm for the weekend. Besides my wife and I, there are now five other grown adults in the house, plus a three week old. We offered the main bedroom to my sister-in-law and her husband since they have the baby. We had people sleeping in the floor and on the couch last night. 

The worst of the storm is supposed to pass by Sunday morning and we're keeping in constant contact with my wife's dad down there on how things are going. The shelter he was housed had a car smash into it earlier today. Everyone is fine and they're being moved to another building.

So anyway, that's my tale right now. I'll be back to regular blogging here soon, probably next week, as I have packages from Dimebox Nick and Jenny Miller on Twitter that have yet to be chronicled, plus I'm nearly complete on my Toronto Blue Jays entry in my "Around the Horn" series. 

9 comments:

  1. Hope your father-in-law stays safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy storm. I can't believe the number of times the projected path has changed since earlier this week. It was going to miss me, then it was on track to hit my area, then it moved south. However that southerly move put us on the side of the storm that's bringing 10+ inches of rain and more wind. Ugh. Glad your family made it out of Jacksonville...it's gonna be nasty this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write this there's a curfew in Jacksonville until 7:00 AM Sunday. My sister in law and her husband might have to head back as some of his family members are in dire need of gas for their generators as some of them are in poor health and on oxygen and they need the gas to run the generator that runs the oxygen.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for taking in your family members. Hope it all works out OK for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brett. It's all good so far. The house is a little cramped but I'd rather have a cramped house for a few days than be worried about the whole family down there.

      Delete
  4. It's truly crazy what Mother Nature is capable of. I hope you and your family are okay... especially your father in law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! Everyone is safe thankfully. This is the biggest storm to ever hit that area of the country. No one down there was prepared for what this storm has brought with it.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that everyone is safe. Seen some video footage and was blown away (no pun intended). Never seen winds like that.

      Delete