Monday, February 27, 2017

You've Got Mail #62: Sportscards From the Dollar Store

One of my goals is to take a trip to Canada sometime. To start with, it'd be a few days in Toronto for the Hockey Hall of Fame, either a Blue Jays or Maple Leafs game (depending on the season), and assorted other things. My main thing one day is to take a trip through western Canada and see places like Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg. Since I don't have the funds (or a passport) right now to do such a thing, I'll have to experience Canada vicariously through trade packages from everyone's favorite blogger to the north, Douglas from Sportscards From the Dollar Store.


Hockey is pretty popular north of the border, not so much down where I live though, but I do see the rogue Blue Jackets hat or shirt now and then. Speaking of which, these Blue Jackets cards are very cool, especially the Brandon Saad, which feeds my new addiction of "shiny cards". I haven't officially declared shiny cards as a mini-collection yet but in time, I might. The Jackets have trailed off recently  and are now floating in between as the #1 wild card seed or third place in the Metropolitan Division.


More Blue Jackets cards, this time of the Score variety. I like Upper Decks offerings every year but some of them can be on the expensive side when buying packs. I kind of miss Panini being in the hockey card game sometimes as they would have sets on the cheaper end of the spectrum, like Score. These are all nice but look at the Sergei Bobrovsky card. It's definitely a bit odd and I'm not sure why Panini would use a horizontal picture but use the vertical name stripe.


Speaking of Panini hockey products, here are a couple cards from the 2013-14 Rookie Anthology release. Each of Columbus home uniforms are represented with the blue one being their alternate. Personally, I'm partial to the white and blue jersey as the alternate just seems a little boring.


Hockey cards weren't the only thing that made their way down from the great white north, baseball and football were included as well. The Palmer card filled up the empty slot in the back page of my tiny football binder quite well and the other two cards went right into the Reds collection. I was pretty happy to see a Robert Stephenson Dayton Dragons card as Dragons cards are hard to come by.


There were also a good number of Reds from 2016 Topps Series 2 and Update. Some of these may be dupes, I'm not sure though. I know the Jay Bruce All-Star card is for sure. I'll need to do some sorting to double check on the rest of them.


Finally, this was the star of the show, a nice three-color swatch from former Bengals RB Mohammed Sanu. My football collecting has slowed down a lot recently but it's still nice to add a cool card like this to my relic and autograph box. 

Again, a big thanks to Douglas for sending over these cards. I'll have to find some more stuff for you to send out later this year. Two more packages to get through and then I'll be caught up on trade posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment