Friday, March 25, 2016

Four Packs of 2016 Topps Series 1


As I mentioned in my latest Card Shop Chronicles post, I picked up a nice variety of packs during my recent trip to the card shop. I'll detail each group in a separate post so here are the highlights of four packs of 2016 Topps Series 1.

When these were first released, I couldn't wait to get my hands on them. My happiness over the first new product of the year soon faded as the reviews came in and most everyone didn't like the design. I went into these packs with low expectations, really expecting not to like the design. A funny thing happened, I kind of like it. I'll give Topps their props for thinking outside of the box and experimenting with a new design. 


I picked out the best cards from all the packs combined just to show them off. I think that the Goldschmidt is my favorite of this trio.


I like the style of the Reds cards this year, as the black nameplate compliments the red logo very well.  Guerrero and Calhoun are the only two "Future Stars" cards I got from the packs.


I'm not a big fan of Giancarlo Stanton, not sure why but there's just something about him I don't like. Team cards are always cool no matter what team they are. Oh yeah, there's Clayton Kershaw too.



Time for the inserts! I really like the Pressed Into Service cards and the Back to Back cards are pretty cool too. I'm not exactly sold on the Perspectives inserts yet but maybe they'll grow on me.  I like the concept of the Wrigley Field inserts but I think they're a year too late on that.

There's my thoughts on 2016 Topps. For two bucks a pack, you can't really go wrong, unless you get a pack full of nobodies. Will I buy this retail? Not really but if I'm in the card shop and I feel the need to rip some packs for cheap, I'll definitely reach for a few of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment