Saturday, February 17, 2018

2018 Topps: The "Wave" of the Future


I'll admit it, I may have gone a bit overboard on 2018 Topps.

However, in order to stretch the cash my wife fronted me as a Valentine's Day present, I had to make the most of it so I got as much as I could so I could get a nice sampling. I bought five loose packs, the last two fat packs on the rack, and a blaster box. I'll break down the highlights the same way. First the loose packs, 


Here's my first card of the year, Tyler Flowers of the Braves. As far as the design goes, I think I like it more in person than I did from the scans and pictures of it I saw on other blogs. It's a nice full-bleed photo and the graphics at the bottom are clean and simple and the team logo looks as if it's either surfing a wave or going down a water slide. I definitely dig it and if Topps can keep the design for the base set clean like this every year, all will be good.


Here's a few former Reds who are Reds no longer, of these Todd Frazier has changed teams, going from the Yankees to the Mets and re-uniting with former Reds teammate Jay Bruce.


Speaking of Reds, here's a few current ones. I pulled three of the Billy Hamilton cards so the dupes will be going in the trade box.


The horizontal cards are really neat and work a lot better than they did the previous two years. I picked these because they had the best photography and I love the way the A's green and gold just pops on these cards.


A few more base cards, again picked mainly for photography than anything else. I dig the throwback Giants uniform on Christian Arroyo though.




There were also inserts, lots of inserts. I can't say I'm exactly thrilled with the insert sets this year although the 1983 style cards are pretty neat. It looks like buybacks and the first pitch inserts have sadly been dropped.


Moving on now to the fat packs (or jumbo packs, whatever you prefer to call them), here's a few guys  who are now on new teams, Cutch with the Giants and Cozy with the Angels.


A few more cards with nice photos.


More nice horizontal cards. I was pretty hyped to pull an Ian Happ card considering he's a University of Cincinnati product. 


More current Reds. Tyler Mahle was a nice late season call-up for the Reds last year and did so well that he's a candidate for a rotation spot this year in spring training. He was one of the few bright spots of the Reds pitching staff last year.


The first foil parallel of the break and it's Dellin Betances of the Yankees.


Two of the hottest young stars in the game currently, Rhys Hoskins and Dansby Swanson. I would've been happy just getting these out of the fat pack but then came this ...


The much heralded card #1 of the set, Aaron Judge. I'd say just based on those last three cards alone, the fat packs were more than worth it.



Finally, the blaster. I've shown a lot of base cards so far but here are a few of my favorites of the 10-pack blaster. 


Two foil parallels and a gold parallel were found as well. I really like the way the gold cards stand out this year.


More inserts. I'm not really sure what the point is of the Opening Day cards, maybe they should've just been left for the Opening Day product itself.


I'm not down on these Jeter inserts as much as most people are it seems. Sure, Jeter isn't exactly someone I actively collect but still, these are nice cards in person. However, I know a few Yankee collectors that might appreciate these more.


More of the 1983 style cards. I can't really get enough of these.


And here's the guaranteed commemorative patch card. Manu-relics for me are pretty cool and I've got a few in my collection. For blasters and retail, I think they're fine but they shouldn't be included in hobby boxes and count as a "hit". Anyway, I won't really complain about in being an Evan Longoria card either as he's one of the better players from the list.

So that's my first experience with 2018 Topps. It was fun to break into these but after a while, the buzz wore off. I'll probably buy a few packs here and there at the card shop if there's nothing interesting and I feel the need to buy something to rip. As I mentioned, I'm not exactly thrilled with the insert sets except the 1983 cards but overall the base card design is really nice, the photography is good and everything feels fresh and new.

4 comments:

  1. I like the design in the gold parallels.
    Thanks for showing a lot of the base. I haven't bought any of these and a post like this really helps scratch the itch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't bought any yet. Probably won't. But if Blowout or DA have any factory sets at a great price or if I stumble across an affordable set at the flea market, I'll pick one up. Otherwise, I'll save my money for Stadium Club and Archives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grabbed some packs for Valentine's myself. I personally love this year's design, one of the better designs in recent years for the flagship set. I don't really care for the inserts this year either outside of the 1983 retrospectives, but I don't plan to set build it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that I liked the design much better in person. Your comment about the horizontal cards not being dominated by the graphics is spot on. Much better than the last two years. I enjoyed seeing the cards you highlighted as in the packs I've opened I didn't see a lot these. And that Opening Day insert is strange.

    ReplyDelete