Tuesday, November 24, 2015

You've Got Mail #5: Wes (jaybarkerfan)

Back in the summer, I ordered a flat rate box of cards from jaybarkerfan (aka Wes) as he was doing some housecleaning and offering up boxes of cards for those who are interested. A few weeks ago, the box finally arrived loaded with all kinds of goodies ...




It's always fun when I unearth some crazy oddball cards like this. The red bordered cards are part of a late 80s Reds team issue from Kahn's, I'm thinking probably '88. Then there's some Expos craziness with a Larry Walker Hostess card and a Casey Candaele Toys R Us. Finally, a Pete Rose K-Mart and a Chris Sabo Post Cereal. These are great!


Here's a really nice James Allen die cut autograph card numbered 42/100. I looked him up and it looks like he last played in 2014 with Bakersfield, sporting a 4-7 record with a 6.23 ERA, 64 K's, and 22 walks in 36 games. Yikes.



Speaking of numbered cards, Wes threw these in as well. I really like the Bailey gold mini and the photo looks like it's from after the game where he threw his first no-hitter.



Here's a bunch of older stuff that was included. The 82 Donruss will go towards my build of that and the 80 Topps helps out there. The others will go in the Reds binder.


There was also some newer stuff thrown in including 2010 Upper Deck


This really nice Frank Robinson Allen & Ginter mini.


Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns ... the former Reds outfielders of the future. Kearns was involved in the disastrous trade that saw him and Ryan Wagner sent to Washington in exchange for Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, Royce Clayton, and one or two others. The Reds ended up getting a few good years out of Bray while everyone else contributed roughly nothing. Dunn ended up having a pretty good last few years in the AL and just recently retired.


Two of the First Home Run insert cards. It's rare that you come across Josh Hamilton Reds cards so that's pretty cool. I dig the Bryce Harper too.



Closing out the Reds portion are these TCMA cards from 1980 commemorating the 1961 Reds, if only I could find more of these I might put together the team set.

The Reds cards were great but where Wes really did the damage was my 84 Topps set build, here are some highlights ...






There was a bunch more fun stuff included too that I didn't have time to scan in but suffice to say my 84 set is over a quarter of the way done now.

Thanks for the box Wes! I can't wait to see what the next box you send has in store for me!


2 comments:

  1. That Adam Dunn Stadium Club card is showing him hitting at PNC Park! Great stuff from Wes

    ReplyDelete