Sunday, September 1, 2019

Two Packs of Topps Fright Flicks


When do you consider the Halloween season to begin? For me, I consider it "fall" or Halloween season pretty much when stuff starts appearing in stores. A lot of stuff started popping up in late July this year (looking at you Cracker Barrel and Michaels) however, for the sake of this blog, I'll say that Halloween season starts September 1st. Well, guess what, today just happens to be that day. I figured what better way to kick off Halloween season here on the blog than with two packs of Topps Fright Flicks that I've been holding on to for this very occasion.

For those not familiar, Fright Flicks features stills from 80s horror movies with a  somewhat comedic or cheesy caption. I think it's a pretty unique set, it's not for everyone though as some of the cards are honestly a little gory. However, they are definitely unique. My long-running goal is to put this set together as I think it'll be an interesting addition to my collection.

Pack 1


#41 Darn It, I Forgot the Marshmallows! (Nightmare on Elm Street II)
#26 Sorry - Wrong Answer! (An American Werewolf in London)
#24 Well I'll Be a Monkey's Uncle .. Oh Yeah, I Am. (An American Werewolf in London)

I already had the "Nightmare on Elm Street II" card according to my want list. The other two cards are from the "American Werewolf in London" film, which I can honestly say I've never seen.


#40 No Job is too Big for Your Local Exterminator! (Alien)
#29 Now You Put on the Bunny Outfit! (An American Werewolf in London)
#22 I Tell You, That Nuclear Plant Is Safe! (The Fly)

Yay! Three cards I need here! As you can see, the set not only covers horror but also sci-fi which I guess maybe "The Fly" could be classified as. Not sure, I'm not into those kind of horror movies. I did see "Alien" once and sort of enjoyed it.


#73 I Said I'd Give Blood But This Is Ridiculous! (Nightmare on Elm Street III)
Sticker #2 Long Live The Queen (Alien)
#21 Now Don't Get Cross! (Fright Night)
#7 Baby, You're the Greatest! (Vengeance: The Demon)

And I'll close the first pack with three more cards I need. I'm not sure if I'll keep the stickers yet. I've heard of "Fright Night" and "Nightmare on Elm Street III" but I've never heard of "Vengeance: The Demon" however a quick search on IMDB shows that it's better known as "Pumpkinhead".

Pack 2


#31 Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall, Who's the Grossest One of All! (Nightmare on Elm Street III)
#36 What Do You Mean? I Just Had a Manicure! (Fright Night)
#41 Darn It, I Forgot the Marshmallows! (Nightmare on Elm Street II)

The second pack begins with two cards I need and one card I don't.


#11 Open Wide and Say Aaah! (Aliens)
#10 Darn! Now I'll Have to Learn Shorthand! (Fright Night)
#59 The Label Said Not to Open Before Christmas! (Aliens)

Three more cards I need! After seeing all these "Fright Night" cards, I think I might have to find it to watch.


#81 Hey, You're Right - I Can See Myself! (The Fly)
Sticker #8 Predator
#79 Phooey - Nothing's Good on TV Tonight! (Nightmare on Elm Street III)
#62 Charlene, Something Inside Me is Yearning to be Released! (Aliens)

And three more cards I need close out the pack. I'll freely admit, that card from "The Fly" kind of grosses me out.


I love the backs of these. The old-school movie marquee on the bottom with the card number is so cool. Each card also has a brief ghost story on the back. These were my favorites from each pack. 

Out of two packs, I ended up with two duplicates (the same card strangely) but these definitely made a dent into my set build.

2 comments:

  1. Those are pretty unique! Tis the Halloween season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween usually kicks in for me one or two weeks beforehand. Although sometimes my co-workers want to do a group costume... which usually ends up taking a little longer to plan.

    This set is really cool... but the stickers are even cooler.

    ReplyDelete