Friday, April 6, 2018

A Steal of a Retail Deal (Part 1)



I told myself I was going to stop buying stuff just to review on the blog. Well, that kind of went out the window with this purchase. Over the Easter weekend, Target had a whale of a deal on cards. Blaster were on sale for $16.99 each and hanger boxes were on sale for $8.49 each. Also, on the Cartwheel app there was a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon and there was a free pack coupon on each blaster of Heritage. To go along with this, my mom got me a $75 Target gift card as an Easter gift.

Naturally, I had to take advantage of this rare sale. I had come in search of some Gypsy Queen but they were well stocked with Heritage. I settled for eight packs of Gypsy Queen (four of which came out to be free thanks to the $10 off coupon and the free pack coupon on the blaster), one Heritage blaster, and two Heritage hanger boxes. Grand total for all this? About $48.

I'll focus on the Heritage cards here and share the Gypsy Queen cards in a follow-up post. I can't remember which cards came out of the blaster or the hangers so I've just sort of mixed and matched here.


First off, before I get to the cards, I wanted to take a moment and comment on the Heritage pack design itself. Since I'd yet to open any actual packs of Heritage this year, this was my first glimpse at what the pack itself looks like. I have to say, I kind of dig it.



I'm going to try and show cards of players I don't think I showed on my initial round of Heritage. I can't guarantee though there won't be repeats. 



Yay! Rookie Cup cards! It may just be me but I kind of think the Rookie Cups fit better on Heritage than on flagship.


Nice to see that the Mariners finally signed Ichiro. 


When Strasburg was a rookie, I had club seat tickets for a Reds game to see him against Johnny Cueto. That was quite the game.



Between the hangers and the blaster, I got four short prints (including two Lonnie Chisenhall cards). I'd forgotten completely about Brandon Phillips' stint with the Angels last year. 


The lone Reds card I got that wasn't already a duplicate and it's one of the baseball flashbacks insert. 



And here are the Target exclusive inserts. I think that Rhys Hoskins might be a duplicate but I'll have to go through my Phillies cards to make sure.

While these weren't the best boxes and I didn't get any variations, it was still a fun rip. I think I'm good on Heritage now probably until High Numbers comes out this fall. If I want any more singles or inserts, I'll probably dig for them at card shows or the like.

4 comments:

  1. Ichiro kind of looks like a bobble head on that card. -Your mom is cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find any Heritage in my area... but last weekend, I was visiting my parents in Vegas and found a bunch of boxes. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the box was on sale. Almost went back and grabbed the others... but decided one was plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to beat a Target shopping spree! I like the look of this year's Heritage, and I especially enjoy the retro flower-power looks of the blaster/hanger boxes themselves. (And if that Hoskins does end up being a double, I could give it a good home!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bought into the retail sale to but really didn't get anything I needed. I agree tho - the wrappers are awesome!

    ReplyDelete