Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Football Shoebox Part 3: Falcons to Oilers

With college football season starting up and NFL season about to start, I figured there's no better time than now to jump back in to the football shoebox. If you're not familiar with this concept, then here's how it works. Last spring, I purchased a literal shoebox full of football cards. I've since sorted them, set aside the ones to keep, and am now showing them off in groups of six teams. Here's the next six:


Atlanta Falcons

As you can clearly tell, there weren't many Falcons cards I felt were worth keeping. I did, however, hang on to a couple Deion Sanders cards (that Wild Card card scanned like crap), one Jeff George card, and one Andre Rison card. 


New York Giants

Again, not many cards from the Giants that I felt like keeping. The ones I did keep gave me a nice variety though, especially when the batch includes both Eli Manning and Amani Toomer. Although I'm not so sure who Dave Brown is, I kept his card as it's from the late 90s, an era I don't have much from of any sport.


Jacksonville Jaguars

Mark Brunell was probably one of the best known Jaguars from the early days of the team. He's really the only one I remember. 


New York Jets

The Jets were one of those teams where I had a tough time finding cards I wanted to keep. I've never really followed them and really have no knowledge of who used to be a star for them. The only reason I kept these cards are because they are names I know, with Neil O'Donnell being the one I'm most familiar with since he's an ex-Bengal.


Detroit Lions

Something I have to admit here ... the only time I watch a Lions game all season in when they are playing on Thanksgiving. Other than that, unless they're playing the Bengals, I never see them. On a related note, I read that their old stadium, the Pontiac Silverdome, is going to be demolished this year. 


Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans

I'm going to lump the Titans in with the Oilers here since they have the lineage of the Oilers and I've only got a few Titans cards. Anyway, I set a lot of these aside to eventually go into a binder full of defunct teams. Yes, there's a whole bunch of Warren Moon cards but there's also some representation by Frank Wycheck and Yancey Thigpen. 

Speaking of Houston, normally I wouldn't do this, but if you haven't made a donation in some shape or form for the disaster in Houston, please consider doing so. Donations of all kinds help, either monetarily to a charity or by giving food to your local food bank to give to those in need down there, every little bit helps.

That's it for this round of the shoebox. Hope everyone enjoyed the start of college football and the beginning of the NFL season this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment