Saturday, January 20, 2018

2017-18 UD Series 1 Hockey Jumbo Pack


I missed out on the base Upper Deck hockey set last year so this year I intend on making up for it. For my birthday back in December, I treated myself to some cards and grabbed this and one of those blaster style tins at Target. I haven't had time to bust into the tin yet but I did open this the other day and I figured I should show off my findings. There are 32 cards in the pack which means 8 scans of four cards each. I'll leave comments where I feel necessary


#65 Anthony Mantha
#179 Brandon Sutter
#39 Brent Seabrook
#35 Lee Stempniak

Right off the bat, the thing that struck me was that the team logo was in foil. Not really a fan of that. The design itself too it kinda meh, with the teal and dark red lines at the bottom. Photography is good as always.


#71 Darren Helm
#5 Rickard Rakell
#101 Artturi Lehkonen
#79 Colton Sceviour

Can't say I'm familiar with any of these guys.


#91 Nic Dowd
#75 Leon Draisaitl
#167 Brayden Point
#49 Tyson Barrie

The Oilers are not having a good season but Draisaitl and McDavid along with goalie Cam Talbot make for a good core. I feel like Tyson Barrie has been around forever.


#193 Adam Lowry
#127 J.T. Miller
#159 Jaden Schwartz
#23 Rasmus Ristolainen

I know Lowry's name from watching Jets games on NHL.TV but the rest of these guys I couldn't pick out of a police lineup.


#235 Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson YG
#64 Tyler Seguin
#164 Alex Killorn
#140 Dale Weise

Forsbacka-Karlsson is the sole Young Guns card of the pack and I'm not sure if he's even playing this year. Last year he only showed up in one game with Boston.


#192 Nicklas Backstrom
#110 Mattias Ekholm
#176 William Nylander
#52 David Savard

Nylander has to be my favorite card of this whole pack just because it's a picture from one of the outdoor games (looks like Ottawa was the opponent) and he's got the old style uniform on. 


#152 Joe Thornton
#40 Corey Crawford
#36 Sebastian Aho
#72 Adam Larsson

A foursome of players I actually know! Thornton wins the competition for "best beard in the pack". I watched a Carolina game recently and they are a really, really fun team to watch.


Here's what the backs look like for those that are interested. Pretty clean and basic with complete career stats. 


#6 Ryan Kesler
#102 Carey Price
#80 Derek MacKenzie
#46 Seymon Varlamov

The final four cards of the pack and, to my knowledge, my first Carey Price card. 

Overall, a pretty underwhelming pack, especially for five dollars. Oh well, it was a good introduction to this year's base set and a good primer for when I dive into the tin.

3 comments:

  1. Nice hit with the Young Guns card - they're sorta tough(er) to pull from those jumbo packs. Forsbacka-Karlsson has spent the season down in the AHl with Providence, not sure if he will ever be a mainstay in Boston as they're team is loaded with prospects this season already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also do you mind changing my blog link on your sidebar to the newer address : https://coasttopostscards.blogspot.ca/

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, I’m not a fan of this years design. Last years was far superior. Congrats on the YG, I didn’t get one in either of the two jumbo packs Santa put into my stocking.

    ReplyDelete