Saturday, August 27, 2016

Four Packs of 2016 Topps Pro Debut


I'll preface this by saying that minor league cards aren't really my thing. I know the prospects inside the Reds system and the major prospects around baseball because of MLB Network but that's it. I was looking for something new and fairly cheap to rip recently as I stopped at the card shop to get some supplies. Nothing really interested me until I saw these for a fairly decent price per pack so I grabbed four of them. I was pretty unimpressed when I opened the packs to be honest as I had no clue who most of the players were. With the help of MLB.com's Top 100 prospects, I'll show off the cards of the guys who appeared on the list.


The smoke effect still rings through on these, just like it does on Series 1 and Series 2 and just like it will on Update this fall. To me, it'd be a good idea to use a whole different design and not recycle the same design from the flagship set. Having the same design as flagship makes these feel like and extension of the same, much like Update.


As I mentioned earlier, I'm not familiar with any of these guys as I'm not really a prospector. One of the things that drew me to buying these packs though is getting cards of people who play for some really interesting teams, such as Bradley Zimmer who appears as a member of the Akron Rubberducks, who I somehow have never heard of despite having family living in that area for years.


Another crazy team name, this time it's the Charlotte Stone Crabs. Justus Sheffield is now part of the Yankees organization and Anthony Alford is the #3 prospect in the Blue Jays organization.


Finally some people I've heard of! Almora recently got into 34 games with the Cubs earlier this year before being reassigned back to the minors. Hessman is the minor league all-time home run king so it was pretty cool to get a card of him. Lastly, the lone insert I got out of the four packs, a Louisville Bats superhero card. This makes it the one of the few Louisville Bats cards in my collection and I'm always on the lookout for more.

For a prospector, this would probably be a fun break but for someone like me just looking for something cheap to rip, I'd stick with some flagship as this is pretty much the minor league version of it.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't had the pleasure of ripping any packs of this. I'd love to get my habds on a few at least. I know I'd be able to find a few of my local Durham Bulls in there. I'm digging the Willy Adames and the Justus Sheffield! Cool Superheroes insert too. I may have to prioritize this product. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have pulled a Durham Bull or two from these packs, can't remember exactly. If I did, they're all yours.

      Delete
  2. If I was going to get any of these, it would just be for the Jays.
    The RubberDucks were known as the Aeros from 1997-2013 and the Canton-Akron Indians from 1989-1996.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rubberducks might be my favorite minor league team name - those Rubberduckys make game time so much fun!

    ReplyDelete