Sunday, August 26, 2018

Blasting Into Some Football


Normally on Sundays I don't stray too far from the house, as a matter of fact the backyard is as far as I get most weeks. However, this particular Sunday the family and I had to run out to the local Walmart to get a few things. Of course, while I was there I had to check out the card section and, wow, was it ever a disaster. Things just strewn everywhere, no sense of anything except mass chaos, and the most recent baseball product was Series 2 which led me to believe that it hadn't been updated in about two months. 

I wasn't looking for anything in particular but I had some extra cash and wanted something to rip. Amongst the chaos, I found this box of 2018 Panini Classics football. I haven't opened any football products in a long time so I was pretty excited to check this out, plus it's always fun to venture out of the ordinary plus there's the promise of at least one relic card.


As usual, the first card from the first pack. It's Delanie Walker, a tight end for the Titans who's been around the league for 12 years and made the Pro Bowl the last three. 

I really like the base card design. It's got a pretty old school feel but it's on modern card stock. They're also pretty colorful and just look like fun, which to me is always good.


There's a healthy mix of current players, rookies, and retired legends. Here are some of the more notable current players I pulled out of the box. I didn't pull any Bengals cards but there were a few cool Browns cards.


Here are some of the legends cards. I like the mix of more recent stars like Dan Marino mixed in with old school guys like Paul Horning. The one difference in the base design, something that also carries over to the rookies, is that instead of the flag saying the team name, it just simply says "legends" and has the team name in a black box above the players name.


Since lots of football fans like to talk about rookies, here are the three ... well ... rookie cards I pulled. I'll be honest when I say I have no idea about any of these players.


Two insert cards here. I think I like the "composers" card more that the "high praise" card. 


Now for my two favorite cards in the box ... first this Terry Bradshaw/Ben Roethlisberger card. It's probably my favorite standard card. While I'm not a huge Steelers fan, I'm keeping this for my collection though.


As I mentioned earlier, the blaster guaranteed at least one of the "Saturday Swatches" relic cards and here it it ... it's Jameis Winston and a piece of his Florida State jersey. I have to say, doing cards with pieces of the college jersey is a bit more unique.

Anyway, that's a blaster of 2018 Panini Classics football and I have to say that I really enjoyed opening this up. Would I buy another blaster of this? If I had some extra cash, perhaps. It's probably the best football product I've opened in a while.

4 comments:

  1. This one of the rare sets that I've actually tried to find boxes/packs of when I'm out... but I've still yet to see any :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday Swatches is kind of a cool name and theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't bought any football products for awhile now... but if and when I decide to... I'll probably start off with Panini Classics. Solid looking product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classics is my favorite set I've seen this year, but regular Panini looks good too. I really hate that every rookie so short printed in Panini products this year. Only 3 in a blaster? That's tough to build the set.

    ReplyDelete