Wednesday, October 3, 2018

2018 WWE Heritage Jumbo Pack


Sorry for the lack of updates recently, last week I was sick with a bad cough. While it still hasn't quite gone away completely, it's better to the point where I feel like can now function normally. I felt well enough last Saturday to drag myself out of bed and go with the family on our annual Target Halloween run. While we were there, I decided to treat myself to a few jumbo packs of baseball and wrestling Heritage. The baseball packs left a lot to be desired so I decided just to share the WWE Heritage pack, as honestly, these are the cards I was most excited about.


This year for WWE, Topps used the 1989 baseball design and, wow, it's works perfectly. For the Raw brand stars, the wave at the bottom is red, Smackdown blue, and NXT yellow. Baron Corbin is now the GM of the Raw show with Drew McIntryre holding the Raw tag titles with Dolph Ziggler. I was pretty happy to get the Ruby Riott RC as she's one of my favorites to watch.


The Smackdown contingent of the pack was far less interesting ... perennial lower-card star in Sin Cara, Peyton Royce who's one half of the "mean girls" duo The Iiconics with Bille Kay, and Tamina who is ... well, I'm not sure where she is right now.


Tag teams and stables get the horizontal card treatment. The Undisputed Era are by far the top group in NXT currently. Not pictured on the card though is Roderick Strong who, along with his tag team partner Kyle O'Reilly (far left) had a great run of matches with Mustache Mountain (Tyler Bate and Trent Seven) over the NXT tag titles this past summer. As far the the duo of Benjamin and Gable .... well, Benjamin is now a singles wrestler on the blue brand while Gable is over on Raw teaming with Bobby Roode.


There were four insert cards in the middle of the pack, a bronze parallel of Lana, a blue parallel of Tony Nese, a Randy Savage tribute card talking about his match at WrestleMania X, and a Bobby Roode card made in the style of the Topps Glossy rookies set.


Finally, there were four legends cards in the back of the pack. The design is very similar to the 1989 Topps Big cards. I like that they used the legends cards in a different design this time to differentiate them from the rest of the set.

While I didn't get any of the top stars in the pack, this was still a super fun pack to rip. The 1989 Topps design feels very natural, not like a baseball design was shoehorned into wrestling cards. I definitely recommend grabbing a few packs of this if you're out and about. You won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

  1. Are you going to build the set? I have plenty of doubles if you want to trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might actually consider it, it's a really nice set. If I decide to take the plunge and build it, I'll let you know for sure!

      Delete
  2. I love this set. I agree that putting the legends in an insert set is a good idea, so NXT and 205 Live can be in the base set. As far as not getting any top guys, give it a year and you may have the number one guy in the company (McIntyre).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the pack I opened. Nice designs and the variety is a big plus .good post . Thanks

    ReplyDelete