Monday, June 3, 2019

Diamond Kings of Swing


Leading up to Memorial Day weekend and through part of the weekend, I was down and out with a horrible stomach virus. I was sick from the Wednesday before Memorial Day all the way through the majority of that Saturday before the holiday. I wasn't able to eat real food and I pretty much survived on oyster crackers, Gatorade, and water. 

By that Sunday, I was finally feeling better and able to get out of bed (and actually able to eat food) so the family and I decided to run some errands. As a treat to myself for surviving said affliction, I brought some extra cash and picked up some cards at Target. Topps Big League was out, so that's mainly what I was looking for. I grabbed some but also picked up a couple jumbo packs of Panini Diamond Kings, just for something different.


As is the case with Diamond Kings, there is a healthy mix of legends, current stars, and future stars. Here's some of the legends cards. I've always like the artwork on the cards and the feel of them. They have a "high end" feel for a lower price, plus you get neat cards of old school players.


More legends cards. I think I might have to add Walter Alston to my list of collections. He's from Darrtown, Ohio which is just a hop, skip, and jump away from where I live.


Yes, I know Panini doesn't have an MLB license. As long as the cards are of somewhat decent quality (like Donruss was this year), I'll buy a pack or two. Also, we've got dudes in new uniforms as in Machado with the Padres and Goldy with St. Louis.


There's always a healthy dose of rookies as well in Diamond Kings. I honestly didn't know any of the players on the rookie cards I pulled. These are the four I liked the best.


Obligatory Reds content. That Johnny Bench card is a thing of beauty.


Each jumbo contained a healthy dose of inserts as well as a framed parallel each. 


These are really some cool inserts and they kind of throwback to the old Donruss sets. The Honus Wagner card especially as it's a callback to the 1983 Donruss Hall of Fame Heroes design.


Here's a few other inserts that I got as well. I'm kinda meh on the Masters of the Game cards but I like the Brendan Rogers "squires" insert if I really had to pick one of these.

So that's two jumbo packs of Diamond Kings. Is it a great product to break? I liked the base set cards and the Hall of Fame Heroes Wagner the best. There is something to be had about opening packs and getting legends that you don't see in Topps cards. I'm not going to go buying any more packs of this though, I'll rummage through bargain bins the next time I go to a card show for more.

7 comments:

  1. If/when you add Alston to your collecting wants, let me know. I'm sure I have a few for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of the base cards too. And that Wagner is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I think this is my first look at these cards. I'm tempted to grab some thanks to your post. The art looks nice. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like these, wish Panini would be granted a license already...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of these cards! That Francisco Lindor Masters of the Game card is pretty sweet. I will have to be on the lookout for that card for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanna like these more than I actually do. The cards just all start to blend together after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's kind of cool that Panini is going back to the Hall of Fame Heroes, it would've been nice if they could have used a different photo of Honus though.

    ReplyDelete