Thursday, May 17, 2018

The City Wide Yard Sale Strikes Again

Since today was my normal weekday off from work (I work 4/10 hr days), I decided to reward myself for spending the morning and part of the afternoon doing some heavy duty yard work. After cleaning up and having a quick bit to eat, I decided check out some of the early goings-on as part of the city-wide yard sales this weekend. I figured today would be a good day to go out as the remainder of the weekend has rain and storms in the forecast on and off all three days. My five year old decided to go out with me as well, so with him in tow, I hit up the two stops I'd planned on today and found some pretty interesting stuff.


The first stop was an older house who messaged me on Facebook earlier in the week and said she had five tubs of cards available. That was enough to make me stop by and take a look. What I found was a mess, boxes of cards big and small (even some 1600-ct boxes) completely unorganized and mixed together in all sorts of storage containers ... shipping boxes, plastic tubs, and even a laundry basket. Needless to say, this was going to be a chore to sift through. I asked the lady what she wanted for the cards, she said that she'd already had someone make an offer on them but was holding them so I could look through them. I dug through, found a few boxes that were mainly baseball (there was a lot of football and basketball junk wax) and offered her ten bucks for the three plus a Joe Montana Starting Lineup figure. 


Here's the aforementioned Joe Montana figure. It's seen way better days and the bubble that houses the figure is pretty much nearly detached. I'll probably just relieve the figure of his misery in living in a plastic bubble and put the cards into the football section of my collection. I can only imagine how this box got so beat up.

The final stop of the afternoon wasn't far from the initial stop. I found the house, stuffed back in a corner of a newer development and talked with the guy I got a lead from on Facebook. He said he hadn't brought the cards down yet but took me up to where he was storing everything while my five-year-old played with his son, who I gander was the same age. Anyway, to say that my jaw dropped when I hit the floor was an understatement. There were giant stacks of 3200 count boxes that were numbered and strategically labeled along with some miscellaneous stuff on a shelf. I felt like I was the guy from Pawn Stars trying to make a deal. I knew immediately I was in over my head as there was way too much to dig through. So, I quickly ran through a few things in my mind and settled on a few items.


First thing I decided on was this 3200 count box of cards from 1982. He said that he was selling by the box for five each. That's a pretty fair deal so I pretty much grabbed the first one I saw. I took a quick look when I got home and it looks like there's cards from each major set that year ... Topps, Donruss, and Fleer along with maybe a few miscellaneous cards.


There were also a few smaller boxes, again five a piece. I couldn't help but notice this box was overflowing with wrestling cards from the 90s. So, I nabbed this as well. I'm really looking forward to going through this.


I noticed there was a decent collection of bobbleheads so naturally my conversation went to that. He said he had a few duplicates and presented those to me. I settled on this Amir Garrett bobblehead from the Louisville Bats from last season. So far this year, Garrett has been a good addition to a Reds bullpen that is pretty much held together with duct tape and hope.


One other thing that was part of the massive collection the guy was portioning off was unopened wax. Yes, unopened wax. There were multiple boxes of Topps Big, some legends set (I think Pacific Legends but not sure) and one box of 1989 Bowman. I'm not a big fan of Bowman must for another five spot, that was thrown in the deal too. So, with everything it was $35, I countered with $30 and to my surprise, he took it! He even helped load the cards into my car. We talked a little after, he provided his number and mentioned he would do trades for stuff as well and if there was anything I was interested in, he'd dig through and let me know.

I'd say overall for a grand total of $40 I'd say I did pretty well and I've got a nice amount of stuff to dig through. I think I'll spend the rest of the yard sale weekend on my front porch (provided it doesn't rain) and observe the traffic chaos on the main road from afar. If it does rain, well, then I've got a nice little project to work on then.

13 comments:

  1. Can't help but wonder if there might be any Ripken rookies in that '82 box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul. Love the box of 82 baseball cards. That's a super killer deal. Have fun digging through that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like you hit some hidden treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can barely buy 3200 count boxes for $5. Should have bought them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty awesome haul for $40!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just wow... that was a day well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations are in order!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our community wide garage sale is my own personal Christmas - I actually have trouble sleeping the night before. Of course, I've never come across cardboard in the amount that you have here - holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome haul! Can't wait to see what you unearth in that box of wrestling cardboard! At minimum, I see some more of the Coliseum Home Video cards and some 1995 WCW Main Event(Stunning Steve Austin RC) that are really interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dang. A great, productive day! Nice haul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these deals don't exist in my world. hot dang Adam! $5 for 3200 count boxes? freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete